Sunday, January 10, 2016

Review: #Junkie by Cambria Hebert

#Junkie (GearShark Book 1)
Cover Source: GoodReads.com
Title: #Junkie
Author: Cambria Hebert
Series: GearShark #1
Version Reviewed: ARC, eBook
Website: www.cambriahebert.com
This book was gifted to me, by the author, in exchange for a honest review.


GoodReads Synopsis:
Drew Forrester is a total adrenaline junkie.
His high of choice?
Cars.
The faster, the better.
He’s been making waves in Maryland’s underground racing circuit since he crossed the state line, and after speaking with him, we know he’s not hitting the brakes anytime soon.
So what exactly does it take to burn rubber and make a name for yourself in a world where the only rule is there are no rules?
You gotta be hungry…
You gotta have balls…
And you can never back down.
What’ve we learned here at GearShark?
Drew is all of the above.
We also know he’s got some secrets buried under his hood.
Secrets we think are loaded with octane and just might set the world of cars on fire.

Check out the full feature article inside…


**This book contains an M/M romance relationship.
Review:
Oh man, oh man. Seriously, be still, my beating heart. These two boys definitely stole it and put it through the ringer. I find it kind of fitting that #Junkie is the very first book that I've finished of 2016.  This book is a spinoff of the Hashtag series, which began with #Nerd, the first book that I finished in 2015. A whole new year, a whole new series, and a whole new genre.

As I was reading the Hashtag books I immediately new that something was up between Drew and Trent when they first began interacting with one another.  I'm not even sure if Cambria knew where the future of these two characters was going to go but I just felt it. I knew there was something there and I was super excited when she announced that the book was going to be an M/M romance.

I spent every day after the book was annnounced in agony.  I wanted to read this book so badly and literally fangirled every time something new was posted; a teaser, a graphic, anything. And then Cambria offered me an ARC of the book fifteen days before it was scheduled to be released. I thought I was going to die from excitement.

And ya know what? Drew and Trent didn't let me down.  One of the reasons I was so excited for this is because the majority of M/M romance is pure smut.  There's hardly any emotional connection and it's over as quickly as it began.  I have no problems with smut, in fact I love smut, but I love reading about how the characters feel when they realize something so new and different about themselves.  I love reading about feelings and a love so strong that it completely changes their idea of who they thought they have always been.  That's where LGBT romances get me. Right in the heart.

#Junkie was all of that and more.  These two strong, courageous men took me on an emotional ride and didn't let go. I understand perfectly why Cambria and other authors might be a little hesitant about writing stories like this or feel a little pressured to do it a certain way. I'm sure it must be challenging and overwhelming to write about something so hard and emotional, something that you've never experienced in your own life, but Cambria did it so well.

Trent and Drew were amazing together in every way possible.  Their story was heartbreaking and beautiful and nerve-wracking and perfect. If I ever believed that two characters needed and deserved to be together, it's these two.  When the Hashtag series first began, I fell in love with Romeo and Rimmel. With Braeden and Ivy, I fell head over heels, feeling stronger for those two than I ever did for Romeo and Rimmel. But Trent and Drew are on an entirely different level. From the very beginning I was pulled in the direction of Trent, wondering what his role in the story would be, wondering why we weren't learning more about him. He was such a great character, so why wasn't he getting his time?

When Drew was introduced I was confused at first. Who is this guy and... do I like him? Do I dislike him? What was he going to add to the story? What was his deal? And then he met Trent and I knew. I just knew. They were perfect and it was perfect. The whole time I was praying that Hebert was going to take them in the direction that I felt they were needed to go. And she did and it was amazing.

Everything about this works and I couldn't get enough.  The only bad thing is that the second book hasn't been written yet and I have to wait to see what happens next. ;)

Rating: 5 Stars, hands down.
Favorite Character: Trent.

1 comment:

  1. I"M SO JEALOUS!!!! I really need this book in my life. I feel like I have been waiting for it AGES!

    ReplyDelete