Thursday, June 2, 2016

Review: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by JK Rowling

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (Harry Potter, #4)
Cover Source: GoodReads.com
Title: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Author: JK Rowling
Series: Harry Potter #4
Version Reviewed: Finished, Hardback
Website: www.jkrowling.com
I received this book as a gift from a family member.

GoodReads Synopsis:
The summer holidays are dragging on and Harry Potter can't wait for the start of the school year. It is his fourth year at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry and there are spells to be learnt and (unluckily) Potions and Divination lessons to be attended. But Harry can't know that the atmosphere is darkening around him, and his worst enemy is preparing a fate that it seems will be inescapable ...With characteristic wit, fast-paced humour and marvellous emotional depth, J.K. Rowling has proved herself yet again to be a master story-teller.




Review:
My husband and I have been reading the Harry Potter series with our daughter each night before bedtime. With him travelling and being away so much for work and both of us huge lovers of the series, we decided that we would only read the series when we were together, meaning that while he was away, Bella and I would read other books at bedtime. He ended up being transferred to an entirely new job site, so prior to April, we had only since him a couple of weekends since Christmas. So, because of this, it has taken us forever to get this far in the series. 

I was super excited when we finally got around to Goblet of Fire. It has always been my favorite book in the series and my favorite movie out of the film versions. This is only my second time reading the book (and the entire series, actually) but there was a time in my teenage years when I watched the movie obsessively. I couldn't wait to get back into my favorite year at Hogwarts.

I love all of the challenges that Harry faces in this book. Not only is he dealing with classes, being a young teen and dealing with everything that comes along with that, but now he has to deal with figuring out how to survive the different tasks of the Triwizard Tournament as well as the impending threat of Lord Voldemort. There's a lot of action and adventure in this one and we get to meet a ton of new and very important characters.

Another reason why I love this book is because it is the turning point for the entire series. On the side of Hogwarts and it's students, our favorite characters are transitioning into their teenage years and they are maturing. They still keep 99% of their original personalities but we get to witness a whole new side of them coming out. From Ron and Hermione and all their bickering to Harry's jealousy of Cedric and Cho, there's a lot of coming of age issues in this book.

Goblet of Fire is also when the series starts to transition into darker, more serious territory. The books have always, from the very first pages, dealt with series issues, but this is the first book that an actual death occurs and the first where Harry truly faces off with Voldemort in all of his glory. From here on out, the books are darker, more serious, and we begin to lose some truly amazing characters.

I'm honestly nervous about rereading the next books in the series because I know how emotionally affected I will be. It's a bittersweet thing when it comes to the last few books in the series. I must admit though that Order of the Phoenix is my least favorite book and I'm so not ready to face off with Umbridge. But, alas, we can't have the good without the bad, can we?

Also, GoF has a ton of great quotes!

Rating: 5 Stars, easily.

No comments:

Post a Comment